toon1892 ~ a site for Newcastle United fans everywhere...
Match Report : 11/09/1968 v Feyenoord
Newcastle United   4 3

Scorer(s): Jimmy Scott (6), Pop Robson (26), OG [Isreal] (42), Wyn Davies (72)

Feyenoord   0 0
Date: Wednesday, September 11th, 1968
Competition: Inter Cities Fairs Cup, Round 1 - First Leg
Season: 1968-69
Venue: St James's Park
Attendance: 46,348
Referee: H. Carlsson (Sweden)
First Half
6 mins
1-0Jimmy Scott. Allen made the running down the left and crossed for Scott to sidefooted the ball home.
26 mins
2-0Pop Robson. Davies crashed the ball against the bar and from the rebound Robson headed home.
42 mins
Goal [OG]
3-0OG [Isreal]. Gibb took a shot that hit Isreal and was deflected into the net.
Second Half
67 mins
Ruud Geels on for Willem van Hanegem
72 mins
4-0Wyn Davies. A free-kick from Scott was floated across the box and Davies rose to head home.

toon1892 comment...

Matchday Programme : 11/09/1968

Matchday Programme : 11/09/1968

Newcastle Cruise First Leg

No one can argue that Newcastle are lucky to be in the Fairs Cup at all, qualifying by the 'one city, one team' rule, but they showed in this game that they are worthy of their place.

With a quick turn of pace they made Feyenoord look very lathargic indeed. They also had the 'cleverer' players and with a great display of dribbling skills they penetrated the Dutch defence almost at will. That's not to say it was all Newcastle, as Feyenoord did build up some good attacks, and were always ready to try a shot at goal, but Newcastle's defence was resolute and invariably too quick for them. Indeed it was left to the final few minutes before Feyenoord came anywhere near to getting a precious away goal.

First Half

An early goal by Newcastle lifted both the players and the crowd, setting the scene for an inspired performance. Pushing on for their second Robson went close twice; Allen saw a great lobbed shot hit the bar, and Laseroms was forced to attempt a headed clearance and it went crashing against his own post. Davies then crashed the ball against the bar and it was from the rebound that Robson got the inevitable second goal. Then three minutes before the break Gibb took a shot that hit Isreal and was deflected into the net. 3-0 at half-time - job almost done.

Second Half

There was one of the loudest of roars to greet Newcastle's fourth goal - after suffering a drought of 21 games St James's Park favourite Wyn Davies headed home a free-kick taken by Scott. At 4-0 up Newcastle's confidence just grew and grew, not content with four they went in search of a fifth and even the defence were trying to get in on the act with Craig, Burton, and Clark all going close with shots.

Appleton, A., 1968, Newcastle's pace beats Dutchmen, The Times, Thursday, September 12, 1968 [p13].