toon1892 ~ a site for Newcastle United fans everywhere...
Match Report : 21/05/1969 v Glasgow Rangers
Newcastle United   2 0

Scorer(s): Jimmy Scott (52), John Sinclair (77)

Glasgow Rangers   0 0
Date: Wednesday, May 21st, 1969
Competition: Inter Cities Fairs Cup, Semi-Final, 2nd Leg
Season: 1968-69
Venue: St James's Park
Attendance: 59,303
Referee: William Gow (Swansea, Wales)
Second Half
52 mins
1-0Jimmy Scott. Gibb put in a superb defence-splitting pass to Scott, who leaving Rangers defender Mathieson floundering in his wake, hit a vicious shot across Neef high into the back of the net.
65 mins
Dave Provan on for Ronnie McKinnon
77 mins
2-0John Sinclair. Burton floated a long freekick into the Rangers box which was met by the Mighty Wyn who knocked it down to Sinclair who met the ball on the volley and almost burst the back of the net.

toon1892 comment...

Matchday Programme : 21/05/1969

Matchday Programme : 21/05/1969

X-rated game goes to Newcastle

After the goalless draw at Ibrox everything was up for grabs in this second leg and it was to make headlines across Europe - but unfortunately for the wrong reasons!

There were no fewer than three pitch invasions - the last seeing the game held up for 17 minutes, with the players being taken back into the dressing rooms. The behaviour on the pitch by the players was equally as bad with fouls galore, some should have been x-rated, and on top of this there were many 'petty' stoppages. A win for Newcastle which sees them in the final but a disgraceful performance by both sets of players and both sets of fans.

First Half

The first half was rough and at times fierce, but it was a dire spectacle with very few notable chances by either side. As early as the first minute Dave Smith, Rangers wing-half, was hurt in a crunching tackle. On five minutes and their left back Mathieson was warned for kicking and there just followed a series of bad tackles and fouls. Newcastle's Jim Scott was booked for a foul on Stein, this after being fouled himself and then on 41 minutes all hell broke loose. Rangers centre-half Ron McKinnon and Newcastle's centre-forward Wyn Davies both went for the thrity yards out, the referee blew for a foul and they both reupted in a fury of fists and boots! This saw hundreds of Rangers supporters swarm onto the pitch. Every availble policeman and official from both sides were involved in trying to clear them off pitch. When the half-time whistle eventually went football had definitely taken a back seat.

Second Half

In the second half Wyn and Sinclair were making life difficult for Rangers and United were gradually imposing themselves and quite justifiably got the first goal. Unfortunately this led to a second pitch invasion, this time by the Newcastle fans. The pitch was soon cleared however when it was announced that the game would be called off if it weren't. Newcastle then got their second goal with 13 minutes to go and this saw hundreds upon hundreds of Rangers fans invading the pitch once again, venting their anger and frustration and goading, and trying to reach, the United fans who were remarkably well restrained. It was then that the referee called the players back into the dressing rooms.

All in all the game was stopped for 17 minutes and on restarting it was basically over as a contest. Newcastle were wary of the passions off the field and Rangers appeared to be stunned by the sights they had seen and had no heart for a fightback.


Anon, 1969, 59 hurt in football clashes, The Times, Thursday May 22, 1969 [p2].

Anon, 1969, Newcastle storm into final, The Times, Thursday May 22, 1969 [p14].

Corbett, T., 1969, Cup fans charge on - break up big game, Daily Mirror, Thursday May 22, 1969 [p30].